St. Patrick’s Day is this Sunday but your lucky day is today. Ri Ra Irish Pub is sharing its recipe for Beef and Guinness Stew!
You can spend the weekend toasting green beer out on the town (Ri Ra’s Bethesda and Arlington locations will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day all week with live music, drink specials and even face painting for the kids over weekend brunch!), but if Sunday finds you laying low, whip up a batch of authentic Irish stew in your own kitchen.
Ri Ra’s Beef and Guinness Stew
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 2 fl oz blended oil
- 1 half pound diced yellow onion
- 1 half pound diced carrots
- 1 quarter pound diced celery
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 4 fl oz Worcestershire
- 4 weight oz flour
- 2 oz chopped garlic
- 1 can Guinness Stout
- 1 half pound cubed chef potatoes
- 4 oz beef base
- 64 fl oz water
- ½ oz fresh chopped thyme
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat stew pot, add blended oil.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef to the stew pot and brown on all sides.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Add the flour and cook out for 10 minutes.
- Combine water, beef base, Guinness, tomato paste and Worcestershire and mix well to make stock.
- Slowly stir in the stock to meat and flour mixture and bring to boil.
- Cook until the beef is almost tender, then add the vegetables and potatoes and simmer until vegetables are tender. Meat should be perfect at this point!
- Add the thyme and seasoning, taste and re-season with salt & pepper.
- Serve with hearty brown bread.