The office of the Navy’s chief information officer released tips for protecting personally identifiable information on social media.
Examples of PII include name, social security number, date of birth, address, phone number, email address, financial information.
Tips from the Navy:
- Assume all information shared on social media sites could be made public.
- Do not post or discuss work-related information, especially sensitive/classified information.
- Do not mention your whereabouts or location if you deployed – including during the time leading up to your deployment.
- Do not criticize others, especially co-workers and senior officials.
- Use privacy settings and controls when possible to limit access to your information. Even with access and privacy controls, social media accounts can still be hacked.