Written by David Stegon
President Obama’s memo laid out the following timeline for agencies to begin optimizing their fleet to meet his mandate that all federal light-vehicles by hybrid or alternative fueled by 2015.
From the memo:
- Within 90 days of the date of this memorandum, GSA shall develop and distribute to agencies a Vehicle Allocation Methodology (VAM) for determining the optimum inventory with emphasis placed on eliminating unnecessary or non-essential vehicles from an agency’s fleet.
- Within 180 days of the GSA’s dissemination of the VAM referenced in section 2 of this memorandum, agencies shall determine their optimal fleet inventory using the VAM, and shall post their optimal fleet inventory targets on agency websites.
- Within 30 days of receiving agency fleet management plans, the Administrator shall submit a summary of the plans to the Director of the Office of Management and Budget and to the Chair of the Council on Environmental Quality.
- Within 90 days of receiving agency fleet management plans, the Administrator shall provide each agency and military service with recommendations for the acquisition of alternative fueled vehicles to implement fleet optimization plans, including shared fleet-on-demand services where applicable.
- Agencies shall incorporate new fleet management plans into their Annual Strategic Sustainability Performance Plans beginning with their June 2012 plan submission.